with Marie la Varande and Patti Ravenscroft
Have you ever found yourself standing in front of a Rodin, wondering what it would be like to make a sculpture? Or wished you could find yourself in a Paris studio creating something all your own, something special?
If so, your dreams have just been answered. Come spend a week in the Paris art studio of Marie La Varande, a highly regarded French sculptor with an amazing studio in the famed Paris Batignolles district. Marie is an incredible teacher, with a superb eye, a deft hand, and a light inspiring touch. Her studio, filled with light, warmth and music, provides models for beginners to experts and creates an inspiring ambiance. In this magical space, Marie guarantees that by the end of the week you will create a sculpture you will be very proud of. If you love it, she will dry it, fire it and we will ship it to you.
In addition to your four 4-hour sculpture classes in the Studio, Marie and Patti will take you to see the finest sculptures in Paris by Rodin, Belmondo, and many others. We will explore the famous neighborhood of Batignolles, still the heart of artistic Paris. In addition to Marie’s background music, we will be treated to a musical concert in the Atelier (studio), another essential part of the Paris art scene.
Since Paris is the gastronomic capital of the world, every meal will be special, arranged under Patti’s tasteful eye, highlighting traditional French cuisine with a few twists and exotic touches. We will have a hands-on cooking class and lunch at L’Atelier Guy Martin to experience the Parisian culinary arts. Life doesn’t get much better.
- Arrive in Paris in the afternoon and settle into your rooms in Paris at the Hotel Champlain.
- Afternoon walking tour in the village of Batignolles with a peek at Marie’s studio.
- Aperitifs and dinner at the Ravenscroft’s.
- A full day discovering Auguste Rodin with an expert guide. In the morning we will visit the Rodin museum in Paris.
- We will eat lunch at a local cafe.
- In the afternoon we will take the train to Meudon for a visit of Rodin’s home and studio which has an amazing collection of his plasters.
- Dinner at restaurant Comme Chez Maman.
- Morning sculpture class in the Atelier.
- Lunch in the Atelier prepared by Marie herself!
- Afternoon visit to the Louvre followed by an aperitif at a surprise location with a panoramic view.
- Dinner at restaurant Ripaille.
- Morning visit to the musee Bourdelle.
- Cooking class and lunch at L’Atelier Guy Martin.
- Afternoon sculpture Class in the Atelier.
- Dinner at La Crie du Radis.
- A full day in Boulogne-Billencourt including visits to the Musee Paul Belmondo, the Musee des Annees Trentes and the Albert Kahn Museum and garden.
- Lunch at a neighborhood restaurant.
- For dinner we will enjoy a Moroccan meal back in Batignolles.
- Morning sculpture class.
- Lunch at Aname, a delicious Vietnamese restaurant in the neighborhood.
- Afternoon visit to the Musee d’Orsay.
- Dinner at Le Verre Moutarde.
- Morning visit to the Chapon foundry or a second cooking class at L’Atelier Guy Martin.
- Final sculpture class followed by champagne and music in the atelier.
- Gala dinner at Comme Chez Maman.
- Leave for the airport after a farewell breakfast with Marie.
Accommodations & Cost
Accommodations: Hotel Champlain is a combined hotel and restaurant. All participants stay in Hotel Champlain’s rooms. Each includes a private bathroom and direct dial phone service.
Included in the cost: 7 nights accommodations; all ground transportation; all meals including aperitifs and carefully selected regional wines; all cooking and sculpture classes; and all sightseeing and private visits as described above. Limited to eight class participants.
Not Included in Cost: Airfare to and from Paris; alcoholic beverages except as specified in the program.
Cost: Price is $4,990 for sculptors, double occupancy. Single supplement $700. Non-sculpting spouses and friends of sculptors are welcome to join the group for $3,990, double occupancy. Important note: substantial changes in the value of the dollar may require changes in the price of the tour.
Deposit: $1000 per person.
Register for this trip — check-out the general information section about Les Liaisons Délicieuses trips — see what other travelers have to say — check for when this trip is scheduled or discuss a custom trip based on this itinerary.